Saturday 6 February 2010

Stop the 'honour' killings

I just find it hard to believe that supposed 'honour' killings are still happening in the world.

The Guardian has reported on this recent case today. It is truly horrific. A 16 year old girl from Turkey was killed for talking to boys...Now I know that our culture is very different to that of Turkeys, but it is wholly unaccetable that 'honour killings' were ever allowed to happen, let alone that they are still happening in this day and age.

This story made me sick to my stomach, particularly the way in which it was carried out. The family had a 'council' meeting...I am sure that was carried out democratically, and obviously the child got a chance to speak...yeah whatevs. Then she was buried alive...

I just cannot think what she had been feeling, she must of been so alone, what a waste of a life. People die everyday, accidents happen, but to cut a life short for something so ridiculous, is just not right.

Apparently these 'honour killings' are still quite common in Turkey. Where do we draw a line under this, where does it stop.

No comments: